Sunday, January 9, 2011

GeekGirlCon...and where Care Bears Fit in...


In August of last year, the idea for GeekGirlCon took shape.  In October, it really got going.  We have two special guests lined up (Thank you Bonnie Burton & Trina Robbins!) and a lot of fun and informational events lined up.  In Seattle later this year, we Geek Girls will take the city and the world by storm!!
This coming weekend will mark another All Hands On Deck open-to-everyone meeting.  It will be Saturday, January 15th from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the Madison Park Starbucks at 4000 E Madison St., Seattle. There is a conference room there which we will be using.  This is an important meeting, not just being the first large meeting of the New Year but we will be introducing our Board Members...and the California crew will be making the trip north to join our Washington comrades!  I will be making the long 15 hour drive north beginning very early Friday morning.  To help promote GeekGirlCon along the way, I will be traveling with one of my daughter's Care Bears and photograph the Bear with a GeekGirlCon promo card at various stops along I-5.

For reference, these are the original 1980's Care Bear stuffed toys, not the remade 1990-2000's releases.  I got them all for Christmas when I was about eight or nine when Care Bears were all the rage.  I watched the TV show and the movies.  I had the little plastic toys and the Care-A-Lot play set.  They ranked up there with My Little Pony and my MLP & Care Bear toys regularly teamed up in adventures where they would try to save Strawberry Shortcake from the evil Decepticon Starscream...ahh the good ol' days...

Back to the plan for the road trip...

I hope that people will follow the Care Bear road trip on Twitter and also visit www.geekgirlcon.com to learn more about us and maybe even decide to make a donation.  If you like the GeekGirlCon mission of promoting awareness of and celebrating the contribution and involvement of women in all aspects of science fiction, comics, gaming and related Geek culture, then please make a donation and help us make this the biggest convention of 2011 and beyond! 


No comments:

Post a Comment